Motueka

Motueka, 14th feb - 8th march

My readers must be wondering what I have been up to since I have been so bad at keeping this blog for the past many weeks. I mean, I was not busy traveling, so I should have had plenty of time... The truth is that working 40 hours a week seemed to keep me pretty busy, and weekends were spent chilling at the beach, or recovering from massive hangovers.... Being in one place for so long was a really good experience, and the friends I made - not backpackers for a change (!) - gave me a much more authentic kiwi experience! So this past month I have very few photos to post on the blog, but I have some awesome stories to tell.... Sorry, though - it would take too long and be slightly embarrassing if I was to write all!

Mot is a small town, coloured by the differences of it's inhabitants. Despite it's main aspect as a fruit and veg production area, with massive orchards that attract seasonal workers from all over the world, it has also long been a haven for a flourishing hippie culture of free thinkers and artists. Tucked away behind the orchards, at the bottom of long gravel roads, small settlements and collectives lead an alternative lifestyle. As it happens in most small towns, after you've been there for a few weeks, you get to know people - and the friendly south island mentality of folks here makes it easy to blend in... But if I had stayed here much longer my liver would have started to complain, and my kiwi vocabulary would have shocked many of my more reserved friends.....Lol!












David, my flatmate, who always was up for a discussion at the end of a days work....


So, it was with a heavy heart (and head) that I left the south island on the ferry from Picton, and headed north, to say goodbye to more freinds, and go exploring a bit more with my small savings from Ormond Nuseries.


No comments: