Aukland and Northland

end of march

To finish my trip in style - a quick visit up north, to soak up the last of the summer sun before heading to chilly Japan. First stop Aukland - more a social event than anything else, I met up with a new friend - Robby, who showed me the sights and took me dancing - THANK YOU!
Robby is a kiwi green keeper in Gleneagles, Scotland, among many other things. I also managed to meet up with Nat and Mark, my friends from Taranaki, for more fun and games...


A harbour speciality - seafood chowder, a wonderfull cure for hang overs!


A sightseeing classic...

Then I headed up to Paihia, and the Bay of Islands. One of New Zealands prettiest spots, where the water is a constant 20 something degrees.... My last tramp in NewZealand took me through mangrove forests, along the river to beautiful waterfalls, and then I headed out on the water, in glorious sunshine.







A boat cruise out to spot dolphins and whales, and the ultimate goal, if all the conditions were right - to swim with the dolphins. As you can see, we quickly found them, and then it was on with the snorkels and into the water quick! Its a lot harder than one would think. You have to swin fast to keep up, and you have to splash and move and yell - you are the entertainment for them, not the other way around, and as soon as they are bored, they swim off. With fifteen others in the water and the crew yelling "there, there! Under you" to everyone, it can get pretty chaotic. I think it probably needs a lot more practice to get it right. But that did not stop it from being an absolutely amazing experience...





Then on to one of the many islands for an afternoon of sun and sea in a secluded cove....




I left Paihia for Aukland via the west coast, with a brief stop in the Kauri forest, to visit the last remaining giants. The largest is Tane Mahuta, God of the forest. It is over 2000 years old. I leave New Zealand with a sense of awe, and gratitude that I have had the chance to visit this corner of the earth that holds so many of natures most impressive sights.



And so many wonderful people too, that I will miss very much. A few of which are Nats family who prepared me an awesome goodbye dinner - lamb of course! Cheers, all my kiwi friends - hope to see you soon in Copenhagen or back in NZ, which ever comes first!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello friends. Current local time in the world http://current-time.info/ http://current-time.info/