Living in Huaraz

Huaraz, nov 2008

Contrary to what many of my friends in Huaraz may think, I actually went to work at the office of the Mountain Institute almost every day, and after a while I got to be quite familiar with the neighbourhood, and it's inhabitants.




I would pass by the same old men on the street, who would greet me every day with a smile; "buenas dias gringa!"





The teenagers on the street , being well, as teenagers are everywhere,



and I would pass people in their gardens, filled with plants that would remind me of Cyprus; bourgainvillier, geraniums, roses.



In the middle of the day, I would walk back towards the center, 2 hours lunch break. It gets really hot..... siesta for everyone except the kids.



The parks in Huaraz are not very inspirational: they could do with a landscape architect or two!



Eating standards in Huaraz can vary,



and drinking too....


Shopping at the local grocers. This Inca Kola (national beverage of Peru) ad is my absolute favourite.

This guy is one of the regulars, not far from the office.....

More about life in Huaraz soon, I promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Muchas Gratias !!
"Gringa" ? ca veut dire quoi ?
Elisabeth